Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Award Mad Libs (or something like it)

I often face an interesting conundrum when writing award texts: people equate "long" with "love."   I have done period-appropriate short texts and gotten the "you don't love me" reaction, which I find odd and perplexing.  There are cultures and eras where a lengthy text is not appropriate.  Anglo-Saxon, for instance.  When working in Middle and Early Modern English, my length averages 250 words.  I certainly can do more, but I don't have a problem if a scribe tells me s/he needs less.  The request for only 140 characters was a little difficult, but even that I managed.

I'm throwing out here some fill-in-the-blank type texts for those scribes who want to sound more period but don't want to deal with lots of words.

Sample 1:  By _____ the King and ____ the Queen.  To our faithful [recipient], right trusty and well-beloved we greet you well.   Know that your actions, deeds and labors on behalf of the realm find great favor in our sight. Therefore, as symbol and token of your merit, we do by these present letters award you Arms in the form following: [blazon].  Done upon [date] in [place].


Sample 2:  _______, King of the East, and _____ his Queen, to all to whom the present letters shall come, greetings and every good thing.  Let it be known to all that our subject [recipient] is of good and noble character, and has distinguished him/herself by good works in ___________________________.  That these good works be not forgotten, we do now Award unto the said [recipient's first name] such Arms as are just fitting and proper: [blazon].  Enacted at [place] upon [date].


Sample 3:  We, _____ and _____, King and Queen of the East, by advice and good deliberation of our council, find it meet to endow our servant [recipient] with such rewards as are just, fitting and proper for one of his/her nobility, bearing and good works.  Thus we do by these present letters award the said [recipient] Arms.  So ordered by our hand and signs manual upon [date] in [place].


Feel free to use and abuse these, just give me appropriate author credit if you use more than 50% of the text.








No comments:

Post a Comment